Wednesday, February 24, 2010

The Insider: The Dance So Far

I positively crackle with excitement as I write this. It’s taken me a while to write about this next great Factory play and I have seen so much to like about the production during that time. The energies building around Factory’s production of Hey! Dancin'! for the past six weeks are hyper-electric. Watching everyone involved lower their heads and charge into the fun makes me giddy. The process cranked to an even higher notch when Chicago was graced by world class cable access chick magnet Kirk Pynchon this past weekend. Kirk dragged himself off the silicon-soaked, botox-infested breast of Los Angeles to make a spectacular return to Chicago and provide choreography for this swinging text he created with Mike Beyer. Based on the swoons of passion I’ve heard from the cast, Kirk’s visit was a resounding success. I can’t wait to see the results.

So, this Insider has so much to review. The cast is stunning. They blend and bond so well. I’m dumbfounded that we could assemble this much talent in one place and not have faces melt. If you think I exaggerate, I dare you to come see what this cast can do. What they’ve created so far on just a bare stage is captivating. I’m so damn thrilled with every single friggin one of them. We are fortunate to have this level of talent to help us produce this play.

Speaking of producing, I personally count my blessings with this production crew. Another amazing level of talent in each area. I’m fortunate to be surrounded by these fine, savvy technicians with mad skills. Their designs and dedicated work running the show will be a big piece of the spectacular dancing pie that the audience will eagerly devour. Based on the response from the rousing Launch Party at Chief O’Neill’s on February 18, we’ve got a show that will thrill. In short, I am really pleased with the process to this point.

So that’s the dance so far. Roaring with promise beyond my wildest expectations. We have a ways to go yet. There’s still a few weeks before the first preview. The cast is off book and will incorporate the choreography this week. The designers start their constructing, painting, recording, focusing, cueing, and fitting as we lead up to Load-In. We've got a lot of parts in place already. Still, many things could happen between now and when the first audience arrives. Tech week will be the usual marathon for everyone. For the cast and crew, I hope for nothing worse than soreness and fatigue from all this dancing and producing. I hope that everyone feels fulfilled in their work. I personally love watching every piece of this production machine go. With Superwoman Sarah Rose Graber steering the ship (one couldn’t ask for a better production partner), we can navigate through the choppy waters. I'm so grateful for the support from those around me in the production, both inside and outside the crew. I believe all the time, hard work, and sweet dance moves going into this production will be rewarded. For what it’s worth, I’m the show’s biggest groupie. I’m as excited to be backstage with these rock stars as the bubbliest teenager from the 80’s. Come and see for yourself.

PS: coming soon is a video promo for this show that’ll blow your leg warmers off. I’ll let you know where to find it as soon as it’s available.

No comments: